The glass is a transparent material and brittle in nature. There are various types of glass used for different purposes. Significant properties and applications of these glasses are discussed in detail in this article.
The commercial glass is a glass which can withstand powerful chemicals.
- The glass usually comes in two forms:
- Heat soaked glass- can withstand weather, temperature and scratching. It is widely popular
- Self-cleaning glass- slightly more expensive. Cleans dust particles which is present on the glass by natural elements like rain and UV rays.
The commercial glass is further classified into three types. They are as follows:
- Borosilicate glass
- Soda lime glass
- Silica glass
1. BOROSILICATE GLASS
Borosilicate glass is a glass which contains at least 5% boric acid. It is also known as Type-I glass and Pyrex.
- Resistance to glass at high temperatures and also improves the resistance to chemical corrosion.
- High hydrolytic resistance due to the chemical composition of the glass.
- Better thermal shock resistance
- Chemical durability
- Higher electrical resistivity.
- Used in laboratory glassware as beakers, test tubes and conical flask.
Composition of some common commercial Borosilicate Glasses
|CGW – 7740
|CGW – 7052